Titiler, pronounced tee-tiler (ti is the diminutive version of the french petit which means small), is a set of python modules that focus on creating FastAPI application for dynamic tiling.
TiTilerhas been developed so users can build their own app using only the portions they need. Using TilerFactories, users can create a fully customized application with only the endpoints needed.
TiTiler's first goal is to create a lightweight but performant dynamic tile server... but what do we mean by this?
The goal of the
Dynamic Tilingprocess is to get rid of all the pre-processing steps, by creating a tile server which can access the raw data (COG) and apply operations (rescaling, reprojection, image encoding) to create the visual tiles on the fly.
- Open the file and get internal metadata (stored in the header of the file)
- Read internal parts needed to construct the output tile
- Apply data rescaling (if needed)
- Apply colormap (if needed)
- Encode the data into a visual image format (JPEG, PNG, WEBP)
Statictile generation you are often limited because you are visualizing data that is fixed and stored somewhere on a disk. With
Dynamic tiling, the user has the possibility to apply their own choice of processing (e.g rescaling, masking) before creating the