Eight things to know about LLMs
Apr 04, 2023
- LLMs predictably get more capable with increasing investment, even without targeted innovation.
- Many important LLM behaviors emerge unpredictably as a byproduct of increasing investment.
- LLMs often appear to learn and use representations of the outside world.
- There are no reliable techniques for steering the behavior of LLMs.
- Experts are not yet able to interpret the inner workings of LLMs.
- Human performance on a task isn’t an upper bound on LLM performance.
- LLMs need not express the values of their creators nor the values encoded in web text.
- Brief interactions with LLMs are often misleading.